Aug 7, 2009

Where to sit on the plane...


The life and death question – Where should I sit on the plane? It is SUCH a major source of anxiety for me….

My agent knows, that she has to KILL for a seat next to a window, above the wing. (The photo to your left proves to you that I don’t always get the seat I want…sometimes I am slightly behind the wing..)

Why there you ask? After all, one of the perks of a flight is the amazing breathtaking view and why should I deny myself of it?

So, based on all my many flights, I have decided that the place where I feel less turbulence is over the wing. The worst place is to sit in the back. If you are really sensitive and afraid of turbulence (and even I was convinced not to fear it, as uncomfortable as it is), you should try to sit there.
But now comes a very big “BUT”……

Shouldn't I be more concerned about sitting in the SAFEST seat on the plane?
That, by the way, according to statistics…is at the back…..

So the question is….Should I make sure I sit where my chances to stay alive in case of a crash (tuy tuy tuy, against the evil eye…) are bigger and feel turbulence more or should I make sure my flight is less bothered by turbulence and should a crash happen my chances to stay alive will be slim…

Ah….decisions, decisions…

I choose sitting over the wing, as the chances I “plumeth” into the sea is minuscule while the chance for turbulence on a 12 hour flight is so much bigger….(is this mad talk or what?.....)

It doesn’t end there…
If indeed it is a 12 hour flight, do I REALLY want to be cooped up next to the window?
I don’t like that feeling where I sense a panic attack coming my way and I strive to get out of my seat and walk a little, trying to regain my “sense of control” and my fellow passengers are snoring away….In this case – An aisle seat is accepted, but ONLY on the batch of seats next to the window and not mid plane ( you know, 3,4,3).

It happens that the only seat available is the mid seat in the middle section of the plane…I make sure I am the first one in line for check-in, which means arriving 3- 4 hours before take off. Usually I can get a change of seat. I have to say though, that I DID fly while seating in such a seat..and as you see, I am still here……(I should say this to myself….;-) )

How do you deal with your seating arrangements?
Be well,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment