Aug 9, 2009

Another plane crash and fatalism


It's the fourth or fifth plane crash in the past months or so. It's scary. And of course, terribly sad.

For those of us who fear flying, these are news that make us feel even worse.
If I had to board a fight today, I probably would have had an even harder time then usual.
It actually validates our fears...."You see? I told you it's dangerous to fly!"

But the truth is that flying is still the safest transportation out there.

Somehow, even that FACT doesnt always make me feel better as I am thinking even if the odds are 1 to 13 million or even just 1 million , I can still be on that ONE plane that will go down...But then, if THAT will happen, then it had to be my time "to go" and I believe that if I was elsewhere on that moment, in my home, or in my car, it would have happened as well....(One of those theories you cant ever verify...)

Remember the amazing story of the young girl who survived the crash and floated in the sea, alone, in the dark for many hours, holding on to something so she doesnt drown? Everyone else died but her. How do you explain THAT? My explanation? It just wasnt her time to go. Point.

So instead of being afraid of flying, i think we should try to adapt a more fatalistic view, spare ourselves all the panic and anxiety and continue to travel and see the world!!

Safe trip.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment