Sep 3, 2009

Another reason I became fearful


On my honeymoon, we flew over to the Island of Madeira. (What an AMAZING place! I called it "God's flower garden" - so beautiful).

Trying to land there was one of the most shocking experiences in my life.
At that point, I really was not a fearful flier.
But suddenly we seemed to have hit mega- turbulence, turbulence I have never experienced before in the hundreds of flights I was on.
In fact, it was not only turbulence, we flew all over the place, up and down and to the sides like a leaf in a storm….

After researching what the hell happened…..I learned that trying to land in Madeira is like” trying to put a thread through a needle hole”….Seems Funchal airport is considered to be one of the most dangerous airports in the world to land in due to strong cross winds. I also learned a 747 crashed there a few years back….

I think that was it for me. Actually, I am SURE that was THE traumatic event for me and the only one I remember. It happened ONCE, 16 years ago....

Ta ta,

Karen

1 comment:

  1. Great post Karen,

    As a pilot I understand the fear people have of turbulence, especially at a low altitude on an approach to landing. By anticipating this fear and using some stress reducing techiniques they can have more control over this fear and enjoy the trip a lot more.

    Pilot DJ Frost
    www.FlyStressFree.com

    ReplyDelete