Dec 21, 2010

Come to the dark side.......


So, I am thinking of flying to Athens for the weekend in 2 week's time.
I am inviting you to join me in my voyage to the dark, very anxious part of my soul....

It starts with an email to my travel agent - "Find me those flights, please".
Minutes after, she sends me a potential itinerary.
Aegean Airways...hmmm....who are they and can I trust them, I ask myself....I have 2 options, but they are the only ones with a convenient schedule...it's a 2 hour flight, so maybe I can manage flying an (what I thought is) esoteric airline...
I decided to Google them. Nice website...read their history, not enough experience for me....but, a member of Star Alliance, I am thinking they would not consent to anyt airline that's not adhering to safety protocols, so I feel a little better....
"At the risk of you not wanting to work with me anymore....Let me know what aircraft is used for this flight" I tell her. (I also want the name, address and phone number of the pilot and co pilot, but perhaps that's too much...)
"It's an Airbus A320-100/200" (if she could not work with me, she wouldnt I am sure...but she is my cousin and my travel agent so she needs to give me those answers or I wont talk to her in family gatherings..).
Personally, I feel less safe in AIrbus air crafts. I prefer Boeing. Ok, so what's to do, they are the only airline that I can fly with. Next step - Google the aircraft...hmmm....small/medium size...one aisle...not loving it...
Moving on..what is the accident record for this aircraft...

"For the entire A320 family there have been 17 Hull-loss Accidents with a total of 795 fatalities as of July 2010.[60][61Other occurrences for the A320 include 33 non-fatal incidents such as engine failure, APU fire, runway excursion, and minor collision near gate.[62] There have been 50 incidents of glass cockpit blackout.[63][64][65] There have also been seven incidents of nose gear malfunction, including JetBlue Airways Flight 292."


Oh god....17, 33, 50....I do want to arrive to Athens safely....Ok, so I will Google Aegean Airliines Accident record. WIkipedia says - 1 incident in March 2010, flight returned to Athens because of engine malfunction....hmmmm....
Statistically though, it's almost nothing - 1 incident that I see since 2003 (where the records of the site start), they fly 6 million passengers per year..Ok, I can try to manage this logically....


Anyone going through this same process or is it me alone out there.....


Fly safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment